While our fears are generally genetic, they are connected to human survival and can actually cause us a lot of harm by playing tricks on our minds and distorting reality. Studies show that the best way to deal with phobias is to face them head-on in a safe environment. We think this collection of startling photos is a great way to start overcoming our worst fears.
Apegeo encourages you to sit back, take a deep breath, and enjoy viewing these incredibly unsettling images.
1. A sea of eyes
2. Just when you thought the mall was safe…
5. It’s okay, we’ll just take the bus home from work today.
6. The notification on the security app said, “Your doorbell detected a visitor.”
7. Just what you’d expect to see in an old, abandoned sanitarium.
8. At least we know we’re not alone in the forest.
10. Always look where you’re walking.
Staring down what could be a 1,000ft deep worm hole through the blue ice of the Lower #RuthGlacier. I was never afraid of the ones full of water, they'd just be cold, but some had no water and it was easy to imagine a long slide to an icy death. #yikes (on assignment for @natgeo in #DenaliNationalPark) Find out how I got this assignment in an article posted on proof.nationalgeographic.com today.
11. Don’t think we’ll be picking up this hitchhiker any time soon.
12. Maybe we should head back to the shore.
13. “Could I have another straw, please?”
14. Ok, these crows are definitely plotting something.
15. Hey, can we get down from here?
16. Oh, how nice! Some friends are visiting a boy at the hospital.
17. Imagine the boat rocking gently side to side.
18. Do you know what lives in your walls?
19. “Hello! Won’t you come inside?”
20. Could someone else open the curtains today, please?
22. Here’s something you don’t want to see before liftoff:
23. Why would anyone build a snowman like this?
25. No thanks, we don’t need any secondhand goods today.
Which of these photos freaked you out the most? Let us know in the comments.